“When you’re writing, it’s rather like going on a very long walk, across valleys and mountains and things, and you get the first view of what you see and you write it down. Then you walk a bit further, maybe up onto the top of a hill, and you see something else. Then you write that and you go on like that, day after day, getting different views of the same landscape…
Orange County holds a variety of spots, a variety of views, both well-known and secret. What will you discover?
ON THE MOVE
– Take a train ride up or down the coast. Students get a 15% off discount on Amtrak and the train station is within walking distance. Check out the schedule at Amtrak here.
STICK AROUND CAMPUS
– What if you try something new right here? Check out the dense schedule of events at Chapman University here.
GET OUT INTO WILDERNESS & NATURE
– Explore local wilderness on your own. Santiago Oaks, in Orange, is a great place to start. For all Orange County wilderness parks, beaches, historic sites and events look here.
– California State Parks celebrated their 150th anniversary last year. Go visit Crystal Cove, one of the most popular. Take a hike. Explore the coast. Learn to paint. Information about Crystal Cove events and hiking trails here.
– Discover Pitcher Park, a small rural gem within walking distance to campus. Read one student’s story about it “32 Steps from my Front Door” by Maty S.
EXPLORE YOUR ARTISTIC SIDE
– Play in “Connector,” a Richard Serra scultpture at the Segerstrom Center For the Arts in Costa Mesa, or go on an outside art scavenger hunt. For a list of nearby outdoot sculptures, look here.
– Sketch outside, or plein aire with Meetup Group San Clemente Sketchers.
– Join a drum circle. For a schedule of local events, link here. There’s one every Sunday at 2 pm. at the Huntington Beach pier.
– Check out First Saturday Artwalks in Santa Ana. Details here.
– Chapman University has its own art museum. Go visit the Hilbert Museum. Details here.
– Talk to small growers, bee keepers, and artisans at a Certified Farmer’s Market. Schedule here, including the market that pops up in Orange every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. It’s walking distance from campus.
FEEL THE SPIRIT
– Chapman University’s Fish Interfaith Center offers a variety of spiritual experiences from Authentic Movement practice to sound healing to choir concerts. Find a full schedule of events here.
ANCIENT ORANGE COUNTY HISTORY
-Interested in fossils? Explore exhibits sponsored by The Cooper Center, “…committed to the preservation, curation, and management of the fossils and artifacts within the County for the purpose of scientific research, outreach, and education.” Exhibition schedule link here.